Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jun 23 11 1:52 PM

just so everyone is aware: the thief who stole my pinarello was pointed out to me by my fruit/ newstand guy when i went out to get fruit around 3 he just happened to have rolled up on me. so i stopped and watched him for a few. he is a tall black male taller then me maybe 6'5 6'6 riding a beater bike was wearing black spandex long sleeve with a tee shirt over it. wore a fanny pack in teal. with a ortelieb rollttop in black. he was talking on the cell phone and unlocked his bike (some silver frankenstein mountain bike) stood around for a while looking at the bikes at the rack pretending he was reviewing documents. i should have snapped a photo but i didnt have the chance. he is seen OFTEN in the downtown area and I guess works with a partner. again I will try and snap a picture tomorrow.

smarter not harder.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#24 [url]

Jun 26 11 10:55 AM

Update:  I got a call from one of the bike shops that they saw my bike on 14th and 1st last night.  Its a hispanic dude in his 40's riding my bike with a girl and another dude in a blue mountain bike(which are also believed to be hispanic).

What was different about my bike is that where the logos were covered with pink tape.  Really obvious!  So if you guys are riding around and see it try to take a picture of the dude or if you are brave enough maybe even stop him and get my bike back and you will be handsomely rewarded.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Jun 27 11 8:41 PM

Saw your bike being ridden by a homeless looking lady. Wrapped in pink tape. Thought it was odd she had a nice vivalo. I saw her on the UWS at about 96th and Amsterdam, riding with another homeless looking dude. 
She was older looking and I think she had bleached hair. Dude was on a hybrid/mountain bike. 
I honestly was puzzling more over the fact she was on a vivalo than I was paying attention to what she looked like. But it was def. the UWS. Ill keep my eyes open for sure knowing its stolen now.

This was information I received through e-mail from a fellow cyclist that saw my bike on the street.  Be on the lookout.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jun 27 11 9:12 PM

Oh man, that's a bummer to hear.  Surprised the bike has been spotted multiple times already.

But I gotta ask... how was it locked up?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Jun 27 11 9:14 PM

I wonder why haven't anyone done anything when bike was spotted like confront them or call the Police.
If I see your bike I will Ulock that frame and call the police and call Chip

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Jun 28 11 4:05 AM

I wonder why haven't anyone done anything when bike was spotted like confront them or call the Police.
If I see your bike I will Ulock that frame and call the police and call Chip

-benson

+1 also we never got an answer as to how it was locked....

smarter not harder.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Jul 6 11 8:50 AM

We think we recovered the Vivalo! Alan tansey FB messaged me today that one of the dudes at continuum recovered the bike. Just informed Chip to check it out... Amazing!

"Oh here go, hell come..."

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Jul 6 11 12:46 PM

Crackhead locked it outside methadone clinic. Fritz and Jeff (continuum) identified it and confonted her. She gave it up w/o a fight, said "she didn't know it was stolen". It was posted to nycfixed. A Tanz messaged me, I called Angelo and Chip, they call PJ. He picked it up all ghetto lookin with stickers all over, everyone happy.

"Oh here go, hell come..."

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Jul 6 11 1:04 PM

Update of recovered Vivalo Bike.  I was on my way back to Jersey around 1pm (about to get into the Holland Tunnel) I get a phone call from cycleangelo that my bike has been recovered by the guys at Continuum.  I immidiately drove over to Continuum Cycles where my Vivalo was located.  The owner Jeff from Continuum Cycles told me the whole story which I was just amazed how quickly and easily he was able to retrieve my bike.

Jeff told me he was riding around and spotted my bike on the street in front of a drug rehabilitation center. He had two options to either retrieve the bike from the girl and ride off with it which was the most risky or reason with them pay a small price for the bike so she would not have to go to jail.  From what Jeff describes the woman is someone with a drug problem in her mid 40's, blonde hair, tatted up, clearly a drug addiction.  She was accompanied by another man similar in age - he did not describe further.  Jeff reasoned with her letting them know that this bike was stolen from someone he knows and that we were not going to get the police involved because of rehab program - that she goes to everyday.

The bike had everything original except the black double toshi straps were replaced with some bs no names.  The bike had vampirefreaks.com stickers all over and pink cinelli bar tape on the down tube and seat tube.  The Vivalo decals were rubbed off on the fork, chain stays, and one side of the down tube. 

I'm really happy to have my bike in my possession this situation has caused me a lot of stress.  I really hope that this does not happen to anyone and its definitely a lesson learned.

As for how I locked up my bike was pretty dumb.  I was with my friend Jay and had it kryptonite cabled to his u-locked bike(never use those kryptonite cable).  I didn't have a u-lock with me and I thought we would be in and out from Vanessa's Dumpling House within 6 minutes.  That's all it takes maybe 4 minutes to take that bike.

Moving forward:
What is the best way to take off all the adhesive tape without messing up the matte finish?  I want to take it off asap and probably need to get new decals for the bike.
I will probably get white double toshi straps and new tires.  I'm just happy I don't have to buy another track bike and focus my attention on a new roadie.  I'm really happy to know that as a bike community we all have each other's backs.  Don't steal bikes bro!

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help