Remove this ad

Lead

Dec 16 11 6:13 AM

Tags : :

Anyone have any tricks for evening out the chain tension?

Got a new chainring and there is a gnarly hot spot.
Tried this, didn't seem to work: http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#tension

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 16 11 7:28 AM

What chainring do you have? No chainring is made perfectly round and is most noticeable in cheaper rings. I even have that in my Sugino75 ring but its not that bad. The only ring I know of that is most consistent is the Sugino Zen. Since you have a bad tight spot youll have to deal with it by having that track slack.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Dec 16 11 8:03 AM

What chainring do you have? No chainring is made perfectly round and is most noticeable in cheaper rings. I even have that in my Sugino75 ring but its not that bad. The only ring I know of that is most consistent is the Sugino Zen. Since you have a bad tight spot youll have to deal with it by having that track slack.

-benson

I just picked up a Sugino Zen

I had it a little with my stock Omnium ring but this is much worse.

A too tight chain wears everything down too.

-erikjonsson

Ya I have proper tension in the hot spot, but the dead spot is almost able to throw the chain. 

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 16 11 8:33 AM

A too tight chain wears everything down too.

-erikjonsson

Too tight will give you premature chain wear and not have an effective drivechain.

I think i fucked up the suntour superbe bb too :/ clicks and creeks 

-erikjonsson

Your chainring bolts may be loose. If anything repack the bb very easy and very fun to get hands dirty

I just picked up a Sugino Zen
I had it a little with my stock Omnium ring but this is much worse.

-chrissss

Check your spider if its straight or maybe the finish of the cranks has to do how evenly your chainring sits. If ot that I think you should bring the ring back to where you bought it and tell them its defective or something. Check the true-ness of the ring if its warped bent weird or anything.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Dec 16 11 9:27 AM

Nah it's def a hot spot on the chainring.

Gives me an excuse to buy Campy Record now

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Dec 16 11 9:28 AM

Try a half link chain.

-crooklynlow

I would reconsider. Half link chains are terrible for fixed gear riding. Here is a quote from another forum "1/2 link chains are only made for dialing in a tight rear-end when using tiny chainring/cogs on BMX bikes. Because of the bent link plates, they will want to straighten out with riding and will actually stretch much more than a regular chain"

edit: I though you meant a whole chain. But how would a 1/2 link chain fix anything?

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Dec 16 11 10:12 AM

I thought he had a chain tension issue. I just to started to run a half link chain and its fine so far. Anyway, Chris, I believe there was/is a dude on here selling campy records. You should search in the market place and contact him to see if he still has it.

Name: Javon aka Apollo Quote: No pistons just pedals.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Dec 16 11 10:25 AM

Ive run full half link chains awhile back. Ive had no problems with them.
Theyve been used in BMX for a long time so theyre super tuff,
I stopped using them cuz I thought they were too heavy,
Tho lighter halflink chains have now been produced with hollow pins and slotted links.

Tires FS: LimeGreen/black Detonators 23s folding. $20 Get on TWITTER Bitches twitter.com/#!/aldep

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help